If you have ever had strawberry legs, you probably know what they are. It’s hard to miss those little dark “strawberry seed” looking dots covering the surface of your skin - especially after you finish shaving your legs! Those pesky little dots cause us to be so self-conscious that sometimes shorts, skirts and even bathing suits go out the window. So what is the awful phenomenon and what can we do to make them disappear?
What Are They?
These little dots are most often caused by either ingrown hairs or dirt, oil, bacteria and dead skin cells that get trapped in the hair follicles or enlarged pores. It can also be more clinical like Folliculitis or Keratosis pilaris in which case seeking a dermatologist is the best option.
The most common causes of this condition are sweat or sebum build-up, not using a clean razor, shaving without shaving cream and razor burn from shaving dry skin. Hot showers can also contribute as the water at a very hot temperature can open your pores which allows oil and dirt to go in.
Here are the recommended steps and ways you can do at home to get rid of those dots and feel normal about your skin again:
1. Use an epilator. - This little tool can be handy in preventing ingrown hair as the grabs each hair and pulls it completely out. This option can be a lot more effective than even waxing.
2. Exfoliate - Preventing ingrown hairs is at the top of your to-do list for treating strawberry legs. This can also be done by exfoliation which removes the layers of dead skin. Get yourself a nice body scrub. Take a steaming hot shower, exfoliate, rinse in cold water and apply some toner once out of the shower to counter any irritation and help seal up your pores. If you like baths, you can just add a cup of Buttermilk Powder to your hot bath because buttermilk is a natural chemical exfoliant that will also remove dead skin cells.
3. Moisturize - Find a good moisturizing serum and keep your skin moisturized to prevent dry skin when you shave. A serum is the best option because normal lotions often contain added silicones as filler which can trap dirt and oil in your pores.
4. Aloe Vera Massage - Aloe vera gel is a very strong moisturizer which also works against bacteria and fungi which can be residing in your pores. Simply massage it into your skin for 5 minutes and rinse with cool water.
5. Throw Out Your Loofah - Because of the way they are made, those exfoliating layers can also trap dead skin cells and bacteria which invite pathogens to come and live there. No need to completely go without - just be sure to replace your loofah regularly.
Don’t live with those strawberry legs any longer than needed. There are steps you can take to eradicate them and gain back your confidence! Show your skin some extra attention and it will thank you.