Usually, an ingredient that includes the word “acid” sounds a little scary and volatile - not something you want for your skin. However, Hyaluronic Acid (also known as HA or Sodium Hyaluronate) is not what it seems at first glance. It is actually an amazing ingredient that is naturally produced by our own bodies. It is not an exfoliant but actually produces intense hydration. Here’s everything you need to know when it comes to Hyaluronic Acid in your skincare products!
1. Our body contains about 15 grams or approx. one-half ounce of HA. But it uses one-third of that amount on a daily basis and the amount available is reduced as the body ages. The incredible property of HA can be found in the fact that 1/15 of the amount your body produces can hold up to 6 litres or almost 2 gallons of water! Hyaluronic Acid doesn’t sound so bad now does it? ;)
2. HA is perfect for any skin type! Don’t worry if your skin is dry, mixed, oily or prone to breakouts - Hyaluronic Acid is there to help.
3. Want skin that looks plump and healthy? Look no further. HA acts as a magnet for moisture and helps your skin cells retain it. This leads to plump and supple looking skin. The boost of moisture also helps to reduce fine lines, wrinkles and aging skin.
4. Not only does Hyaluronic Acid help combat fine lines and wrinkles, it also helps production of collagen, maintain skin elasticity, contains antibacterial and anti inflammatory properties, and fights free radicals.
5. What are free radicals? Airborne air pollutants like smog, ultraviolet radiation from the sun, and tobacco smoke. Recent research suggests that Hyaluronic Acid acts like an antioxidant to help shield your skin from pollutants such as the ones listed above.
Can you think of anything more you could want from your skincare products? Hyaluronic Acid is not only beneficial and essential for the health and beauty of your skin, it also helps shield and protect it against harmful substances in the air. These outstanding properties are one reason why we include HA in all of our self tanning products at Golden Star Beauty! It helps alleviate the dryness that comes from the applying DHA (the active ingredient of self tanners that provides the color). So you can get a golden glow from the inside out!